I discovered today that one piece of my Rhinebeck experience that I had totally forgotten about – being captured on camera by the LetsKnit2gether podcast – has now hit the airwaves ;) So if you head over there you can see about 30 seconds of me in the blogger meetup segment. But more than that (because my dorkishness is, let’s face it, only a minor thrill even if I did reveal my
unintentionally overachieveing laminated Blogger Bingo card), it’s a pretty awesome vodcast because she’s captured a lot of the key aspects of Rhinebeck. There’s film of the sheepdogs and angora goats and all sorts of stalls. You can practically smell the yarn fumes and maple cotton candy. And you can see a whole bunch of other bloggers too. I keep going back and looking and scanning the crowd shots to see who I recognize. (Note Raverly’s Jess in her ‘Mama Rav’ tee!)
In other news, I am loving reeling in the Finished Objects this month. I finally got to take the Ivy League Vest out for a spin, the Ribby Cardi #3 is now washed and laying out to dry, and the Monkey Socks I finished a couple of weeks ago have now gone into permanent rotation. But these items were all begun in December, and I now have the first FO that belongs completely to 2008.
Back in June last year at the TTC Knitalong in Toronto, I won a prize of a skein of Colinette Jitterbug in ‘Fruit Coulis’ colourway. I love the colours, pink and purple are definitely my speed. Only problem is, Jitterbug comes in a scant put-up of 320 yards per skein, and since I can just barely squeak out a pair of Monkeys from a 360 yard skein of Socks That Rock lightweight, I have been letting the single skein of Jitterbug sit while I pondered how best to use it up. Then, the week leading up to my first dissertation defense loomed, and I just said heck with it, this is pretty pink yarn and I want more socks and I am doing something with this Jitterbug just because.
Making the Most of Your Colinette Jitterbug When You Have Size 11 Feet:
1. Split the skein exactly in half. (See above).
2. Work toe-up instead of cuff-down.
3. Up-size the needles, since Jitterbug is slightly smooshier and can handle it – I normally use 2.75mm and went up to 3.25mm on these.
4. Use fewer stitches – I normally use 64 and went down to 56.
And then I added in a k3, p1 rib pattern just to keep it interesting, and voila! Finished, cute, highly wearable socks:
They may even, dare I say it, be slightly too loose. I’ll see how they wear and if necessary, I would be willing to rip back and re-do the 1×1 ribbing on the cuff a little more snugly. Hurray! Pair of socks #2 for 2008!
I send many yarnish and virtual well-wishes for the weekend. May your knitting be close by (especially if you live in the cold snap parts of Canada right now because DAMN is it cold enough to freeze your snot out there.)