The upside to a workday at home is that it is extremely easy to have a break to blog about your finished knitted things. The downside is the lack of photographers.
As a result, while I’d love to show you a fantasic Finished Object photo-shoot of my completed Twist Cardi (which has been patiently languishing for weeks while I finally went out and got buttons), the best I can show you is this:
I’ll wrangle a photographer later, this sweater deserves better. It turned out very comfy and warm, more like a jacket than a cardi, which is what I intended. For this shot I did a public service and cropped out my blotchy face…shady winter light is not a friend to portraits…but I can report that the hood is lovely and functions well.
On the hat front, I did indeed manage to finish the Inga Hat of previous posting, with some extra yarn that reader Robyn handed off to me last week when I handed over her blog contest winnings from last month (other winners – your yarn is in the mail! Mea culpa. I don’t know why it takes me so long to get to the post office). But sadly it is indeed too long. The blocking for cloche-effect did actually work, but the crown still sits too high. I am going to try one last effort of ripping out the last 6-8 rows and sewing it up. If that doesn’t work…Well, then it’s a fair isle felted tea cosy for me.
But I did finally get to another hat, after perusing Ravelry and discovering the Norwegian Star Earflap Hat (Ravelry free download link) from Tiennie. This one worked. I did have to pull out the first attempt after a couple of inches once it was clear I needed to go down in needle size, but once I got the circumference worked out the rest was just fine. Thanks to the 2/3 of a skein of the same petal pink Patons, which just happened to be sitting in my stash from last year, I now have a hat to go with the gloves I finished a couple of weeks ago.
I figure if you’re going to make the decision to make an earflap hat, you might as well go full tilt and add pompoms to the i-cord tassels. (A decision which I feel is validated by other Ravelry users doing the same thing). My only concern is that the combination of tassels and the pink shade may have resulted in a hat more suitable for someone closer to 13 than 30, but I’ll go with it for now. It’s warm, it fits, and I’ve got all winter to make Hat Attempt #3.
The pattern is very well written, and gives you 3 child circumferences and 3 adult circumferences, and is infinitely variable in colour combinations. Since the fair isle section is only 15 rows, it is easy to adjust length by adding or removing rows to the solid colour sections. I call this one a win.
Although I still have quite a bit of work to get done in the next few weeks, and a Mt-Everest-sized mountain of prep to do for next term, I’m very much looking forward to the fun parts of December. Knitting, baking, and hibernating ahoy!