When I headed off to Rhinebeck earlier this month, I brought a few different projects with me, as one does for a knitting weekend. My Jurisfiction cardigan in progress, some Jaywalker socks that I ended up finishing on the trip down, and a bag of selected Knit Picks Palette yarn from what is, admittedly, a fairly large stash of same. I’ve collected many different colours of this yarn over the years, with all kinds of colour-work dreams associated with it, and decided it was high time I did something with it.
It’s also been several years since I first knitted the Venezia pullover, and while I still love it it is also now a wee bit snug on me so I want another one.
This isn’t the sort of project you can just start, though, which I knew very well going in. You need to choose your colour combination and when you’re substituting 9 different colours in a different yarn from the pattern…well, swatching time it is! I knew the general combination of colours I wanted, it was just a matter of getting the right sequence and look.
The first swatch, above, was one of my Rhinebeck projects while sitting and relaxing on the Friday. It wasn’t too bad, but felt a bit blurry looking for my liking, so I removed that burned yellow colour in the middle (I think that was Brindle Heather), and tried again with number two.
In number two I replaced that yellowy one with another green, in the sequence from red to green in the background colours, and generally liked it pretty well. The only thing i wasn’t fully sold on was the pattern colour used over the central green rows, because in the original pattern that particular line uses a pattern colour that really pops. The only trouble was I was having a hard time finding just the right colour to do that in my selection. I also wasn’t completely sold on the slightly muddy combination of pattern colours transitioning from white to various heathered browns.
So I then went for number three, changing up all of the pattern colours and making the transitions between them a bit more gradual except for the yellowy central one. In the end I decided this was an over-correction, and I knew before I finished this swatch that I liked it the least of all three options.
I did start on a fourth swatch – a couple of fourth tries, actually – and eventually realized that I liked the second swatch option just fine after all. So! Colour scheme, here we are.
I’ve got no shortage of projects to work on right now, but since the next weeks bring a lot of change and events (starting a new job this week, moving in another week and a half), I wanted a big project that would bridge across all of that. Meet real life crazy with knitting crazy, that’s my approach.
I cast on on Monday. Of course, since this is in fact a fingering weight sweater, two nights’ progress has included a large amount of counting and re-counting and ensuring I haven’t twisted the join, so it doesn’t look like much yet. The addicting part will come once the colour-work starts, so I look forward to getting to that soon.
I hope your week is going well, knitter friends! More from me soon about what’s on my needles.