Last week the fabulous ladies over at Mason-Dixon Knitting (Ann and Kay, I really am going to get back to that Liberty Blanket I started last summer, honest I swear) were kind enough to give me a shout-out on their post about getting into sock knitting, and it made me remember, oh yeah, sock knitting season.
If I’m keeping it real, I do actually believe that any knitter should knit whatever they want at whatever time of year they want, and probably adhere to that sensibility about 65% of the time. But the other 35% of me does think that at some point we make the transition from sweater knitting season over to sock and shawl knitting season, and vice-versa, if for no other reason than for the compelling shift in temperatures that comes with moving from winter to summer, and vice versa. It feels a bit more like spring and summer when sock knitting season starts making itself visible again, and I like that about knitting world.
True to seasonable sensibilities, I find myself with two pairs of socks on the needles at the moment. One for handbag knitting (or, let’s face it, movie theatre knitting, as these dark purple ones (my Nice Ribbed Sock, below) have taken a trip to the movies at least 3 times in their journey from cast-on to being halfway through the second sock), and the other (My So Simple socks in sport weight yarn, above) is for those small intervals at home when I just want a few minutes of knitting diversion before working on something else.
Having just finished a winter where my primary use of sock yarn was for making granny squares, it also feels pretty great to remember about all the sock yarn still in my stash waiting to get knitted. I have a lot of it and it’s all great and unless you knit with it there is little point in collecting it. Not all yarns are forever – sometimes you look in your stash and realize there are skeins in there that can’t be found again, like the Van Der Rock sock in the ribbed socks here. Great colours and lovely yarn, from a company no longer in business.
If you’re a sock knitter – or about to become one – welcome to sock knitting season and I hope you’ll get some good pairs off the needles this year! And for everyone else, well, happy knitting this week no matter what!
Pattern: Nice Ribbed Sock
Yarn: Van der Rock Yarns, superwash merino sock yarn in ‘arsenic’ (archival stash yarn, no longer in business sadly!)