Okay, so after just 12.5 months of extremely stubborn effort followed by 2.5 weeks of seaming during which your right shoulder starts to stage a physical revolt against you and everything you stand for, you too can have a thing that looks like this:
It is seamed. All of those squares are now bonded together for all eternity. All 340 of those little fuckers. If moths ever decide to attack this thing, i cannot promise that I will be held responsible for my actions as a result, because I have never put even close to this much time and attention into any other project involving yarn. IT’S A BLANKET NOW. NOT JUST A PILE OF TINY SQUARES. FINALLY, DEAR GOD, FINALLY.
It meets the needs I set out for: it’s blanket-sized rather than lap-blanket sized, so it’s large enough to actually sleep under. I busted a whole lot of stashed yarn leftovers. I managed to disperse the colours enough so that it didn’t end up with one whole neon pink corner or a column of turquoise down one side.
I’m very glad to have this blanket, and it’s going to be really great timing heading into fall and have it draped over my couch. I almost didn’t think I was going to make it this far.
I’m not going to lie, though, this has also been a frustrating project for me the last couple of months. It just KEEPS GOING. I’ve spent so much time working on this in the last year that it feels like I haven’t actually knitted anything. I miss cables. I miss sweaters. I miss my knitting needles. I’m a knitter and I need to knit some things.
So it’s pretty amazing that this is finally coming to an end, is what I’m saying. I’ve got a Rhinebeck sweater to get to work on and designs to plan! I can’t wait to return to Knitter Me, she’s been far too patient for far too long.
There are two small holdups, though. One is that the wrong side of the blanket looks like this. Even though I managed to scoop up some ends during the seaming process, there are still dozens of little ends to weave in. So there’s that.
The other thing is that this still needs a border. It would be fine without one, sure, but I’d rather not get this far into such an enormous production just to lose it on the finishing. It would be like finishing a cardigan and then just deciding not to sew on the buttons after all. But I also don’t want to start that border right this moment.
So, I’m making a deal with myself – I’ll sew in the ends in the next week, and then I’m going to let it sit for a few weeks before setting to work on the border. I don’t know how long the border will take, but I’m guessing it’s going to be more than a day or two. Mercifully, I still have 2 100g skeins of the off-white border yarn in reserve, which should do me fine for those purposes.
Thanks for sticking with me on this blanket journey, dear blog readers. It’s been a long one!
I do fully intend to do a real project post-mortem on this, so if you’ve got a burning question about it, please feel free to add it here and I’ll tally them up when I get to that post!
Have a great Thursday!
Project: Granny square afghan squares (classic granny square pattern – tutorials widely available on the web and YouTube – Google search for ‘basic granny square’ and you’ll find several options), 3.0mm crochet hook
Yarn: Miscellaneous sock yarn stash leftovers, including Tanis Fiber Arts sock, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock, Madelinetosh sock, Dream In Color Smooshy, Van Der Rock sock (no longer available), Indigodragonfly sock, Miss Babs sock, and more. Border yarn is Sweet Georgia ‘Tough Love Sock’ in birch.