The post-granny square life has been going pretty well this last week or so. Now that Rhinebeck is just over a month away (ERK, better knit faster), I’m also making an effort to get more of my vacation yarn on the needles, from my haul purchased back in July in Nova Scotia. I’ve got the sheepy Aran wool on the needles since last week, which is working out nicely so far. Then I finished the Jaywalkers I was knitting on for the month of August, so now I can put one of the skeins of sock yarn I bought in July into service for a pair of Nice Ribbed Socks.
This is a skein of Handmaiden Casbah, in such a nice multi-colour combo of green and teal that it feels extra good just to look at. The cashmere content certainly doesn’t hurt either though.
My goal is essentially to make some headway on my vacation yarn before I get a new haul of vacation yarn at Rhinebeck in October. I have never managed to be one of those people who knits all of her Rhinebeck yarn purchases in the year before the next Rhinebeck weekend, but I’d like to just do enough so that I don’t feel like I’m getting a backlog. (Also let’s be real, I still maintain a yarn stash – no need to rush all yarns onto the needles before they’re ready. It’s what stashes are for.)
A three-day weekend gave me some extra sitting-and-crafting time as well, and it turns out that when I went to finish weaving in the ends on my granny square afghan, there weren’t that many left to weave in. I was so buoyed by this discovery that I decided to start in on the border right then and there.
Some folks have asked if this blanket really ‘needs’ a border. Oh, dear dear knitter friends. When it comes to this granny square project, we passed ‘need’ back on Day One. This is not about what the blanket needs. It would, of course, still be a beautiful and functional blanket without a border, but it would also have been a functional blanket with fewer squares, in different yarn, and in a different style.
I decided I wanted a border for this blanket because I wanted a final finishing touch to bring all those little edges together, and that’s what we’re doing. (Also, in case it bears saying, I would 100% never look down my nose at anyone who chose to stop here. If you’ve put together a blanket-sized quantity of granny squares into one item and like the way it looks, YOU DO YOU, FRIEND. Ain’t no heroes here.)
I’m doing a couple of ‘granny’ rounds all along the full edge first – which, let’s also be real about this, is going to take some time – and after that I might get brave and do a little flourish to finish it off with a round of scallops, or just some single crochet…that decision I’m delaying until I get there. My main goal with this finishing is to cover up the little uneven bumps where the squares have been seamed, so that it looks like one continuous edge. As long as that works out, we’re good.
Aside from that, I’m looking forward to having more sweaters and cable knitting to return home to this month. Here’s hoping for some fun knitting ahead in September.
Happy Tuesday, knitter friends!
Project: Granny square afghan squares (classic granny square pattern – tutorials widely available on the web and YouTube – Google search for ‘basic granny square’ and you’ll find several options), 3.0mm crochet hook
Yarn: Miscellaneous sock yarn stash leftovers, including Tanis Fiber Arts sock, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock, Madelinetosh sock, Dream In Color Smooshy, Van Der Rock sock (no longer available), Indigodragonfly sock, Miss Babs sock, and more. Border yarn is Sweet Georgia ‘Tough Love Sock’ in birch.