Greetings, knitting friends! In the time since I posted last I have been plugging away at the sweater knitting (Rhinebeck is now ERK 3 weeks away), and harbouring a small amount of anxiety over exactly how realistic or futile this plan is to finish a cabled hoodie between now and then. I do have two advantages on my side, though:
1) It’s in Aran weight wool, and therefore knitting up pretty quickly, and
2) It’s a pattern I designed a year ago, therefore my brain already knows what’s going on and I don’t have to spend a lot of thoughtful energy stewing over something new.
The fit is the thing that has been making me twitch a bit, though. The yarn I’m using knits up slightly looser than the gauge used in the pattern – 16 sts/4 ins instead of 17 sts/4 ins. That might not seem too different, but over a full garment it does end up giving you an extra inch or three depending on the size, when it comes to width or circumference.
I was all confident about this and was happily going to do a modified smaller size (as written) to get the actual size I wanted (as knitted), but my indecision got the better of me after I did the sleeves in that manner and they seemed a touch smaller than what I was going for. (This is a cabled hoodie, and intended for Rhinebeck or at the very least fall-to-winter wear, so I’d like a slightly loose fit than anything else if at all possible. Outer layer here we come).
Anyway, after I had both sleeves knitted up in a week, I promptly bit the bullet and ripped them out to re-knit everything in the next size up. (Ripping out is a ton easier if you put your yarn winder into service here. Not necessarily emotionally easier, but on a practical level, sure.)
Yesterday I finished up the back piece on the new size decision, and immediately washed it and pinned it out to block. This is an advantage of knitting sweaters in pieces – you really don’t need to wait to the very end to check this, you can go one piece at a time if it gives you peace of mind. And in this case it did. I had nothing to worry about, everything is coming out just as anticipated based on my (washed and blocked) yarn swatch, and if nothing else it will turn out on the looser fit side of things, which is fine with me.
I suppose it wouldn’t be a Rhinebeck sweater without a bit of anxiety and overthinking and down-to-the wire deadline knitting, though, so by that score I am completely on schedule.
Onwards! To fall, and to cables. Happy fall knitting!